Here is the list of prompts for this ficathon. We've got a lot of them and quite a variety!
The rules for claiming:
1- You may claim one prompt, and there is only one writer to a prompt.
2- The first person to post asking for a specific prompt will get that prompt. Comments will NOT be screened so it will all be visible. I will confirm your claim by replying to your comment so you know. (I have to work so don't worry if it's several hours before I reply. If you're first to comment, you WILL get that prompt.)
2a. I will strike out each prompt as it is claimed.
3- Initial claim period will run for two weeks, until July 1. You can start writing anytime after receiving confirmation that your claim has been accepted.
4- Any writer can enter the ficathon at any time and claim and write an unclaimed prompt, as long as you finish the story by the due date. (Week of August 12-18)
5- If--after the initial claim period has ended-- you get stuck and just cannot write your prompt, you may turn it in and ask for another, unclaimed, prompt. You can reply here or to this post to turn in an old prompt and choose a new one.
6- You may choose and write a second prompt if you wish and you've finished your first already.
7- If you just cannot complete your prompt and do not want to write at all, you can let me know--and forfeit your soul-bits--in this post.
Reminder to those who submitted prompts: it's up to the writer to interpret your prompt and go where their muse takes them. The story may not be exactly what you were thinking of when you submitted the prompt, but that's the chance you take in a ficathon. We all know that writing is never that organized and tame. ;)
Note: I had to sort of guess with some prompts as to where they fit in, as the person did not really specify. Single-character prompts were mostly put into the Gen category. If you really wanted something different done with your prompt, let me know, and if it is still unclaimed, I will correct it.
Generic prompts can be written for any pairing or no pairing or any way the writer wishes! Gen, Team, Anything goes!
2. Any. Heroes crossover--do with that what you will, though come on, don't you want to give Daniel superpowers? Wouldn't that go horribly, horribly wrong?
4. Any. SG-1 is scattered across various worlds, trying to avoid being caught by the Ori.
6. Any. The SGC discovers that Ba'al is controlling the IOA in the same way he tried to control the Jaffa Council.
10. Any. Harry Maybourne, time travel and one of Vala's old con-friends. (Prefer friendships, but hey, alt timelines, anything goes.)
-rivers turning to blood
-disease on livestock
-hail mixed with fire
-death of the firstborn
13. Any. Where the government has fallen and they're just trying to survive and be free, but they're the ones who look bad on TV.
14. Any. A trip to an alternate reality through the quantum mirror. No return home.
15. Any. Where the Merlin download is corrupted from the Prior download, and neither ends up leaving from Daniel.
18. Any. Oregon, curling, farming.
20. Any. An AU where the robot SG-1 comes back to Earth to discover everyone's dead.
21. Any. "All my dreams burned as bright as a flame/ But they got destroyed in the fire just the same/ Blasting the darkness/ And blasting the night/ With blinding light." (Blinding Light by Joel Plaskett)
23. Any. Jack accidentally destroys the world. Ooops. Bonus points for including talking puppets.
25. Any. An alien invasion, mind control, self-destruct.
27. Any. From wikipedia - Present day — the Holocene extinction event. A 1998 survey by the American Museum of Natural History found that 70% of biologists view the present era as part of a mass extinction event, possibly one of the fastest ever. Some, such as E. O. Wilson of Harvard University, predict that man's destruction of the biosphere could cause the extinction of one-half of all species in the next 100 years.
31. Any. "December... Sun shines through haze/ I put my thoughts toward future days./ It's no surprise. I close my eyes and close the door." (December by Static X) (admin note- song available upon request)
32. Any. The desert camo team from Ripple Effect and the Ori plague.
36. Any. Sam (any pairing or none): "Daddy, daddy, it was just like you said/ Now that the living outnumber the dead/ Where I come from it's a long thin thread/ Across an ocean. Down a river of red..." (Laurie Anderson)
40. Any. Against all odds, Sam and Teal'c are the only survivors.
41. Any. Vala makes sure the Tau'ri are never forgotten.
43. Any. "Dead Clade Walking" - some groups of organisms which survive mass extinctions either become extinct a few million years after the mass extinction or fail to recover in numbers and diversity. There are only a handful of humans left on Earth.
44. Any. Daniel. Tok'ra. Death shouldn't be more elusive than survival.
46. Any. "I thought I saw upon the stair / A little man who wasn't there / He wasn't there again today / Oh how I wish he'd go away."
Team only prompts
Prompts that ask for an entire team focus, not pairings.
47. Team - This too shall pass - nothing in life is permanent, which is both a joy and a source of grief.
49.Team - "Only dead men see the end of the war." (Plato)
50. Team - Conflict with ascendeds and new ancient technology; (gen-team, any/all team members)
54. Team - "The crowds are dark and the storm is coming/ the heater's broken but the motor's running/ the radio man says it's happening, we're gonna be snowed in." (Snowed In by The Joel Plaskett Emergency)
55. Team - Picture
56. Team - Photo of a vortex
57. Team - "Experts in ancient Greek culture say that people back then didn't see their thoughts as belonging to them. When ancient Greeks had a thought, it occured to them as a god or goddess giving an order. Apollo was telling them to be brave. Athena was telling them to fall in love. Now, people hear a commercial for sour cream potato chips and rush out to buy, but now they call this free will." (Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk)
58. Team - Team gates to a world that has been destroyed by something supernatural (your choice of what that is) and has to fight to survive. (Lots of team love and hurt/comfort a big PLUS.)
60. Team - While offworld (or in another galaxy), SG-1 receives word that Earth has been destroyed (possibly word that all the allied worlds have been destroyed). They verify it as best they can, in a way that's convincing to the reader, and they grieve and keep going. Some time later it turns out that the reported destruction was a ruse to serve the nefarious purposes of some bad guys.
61. Team (Shroud spoilers) - Daniel-as-Prior was actually working for Adria and the Ori ships which came through the Supergate went straight to Earth and blew it up. When SG-1 + Jack arrived in the permanently-cloaked Odyssey, all that was left was rubble. Daniel, no longer a Prior, doesn't remember anything since Merlin downloaded into his head, but he knows he caused the destruction of Earth and the team knows it too. Now all they have is themselves and the Odyssey in an Ori-dominated galaxy.
62. Team (Season 10) - Caught off-world when earth is destroyed and now on the run from the Ori.
63. Team - "But we're still stealing it, right?" / "Oh yeah, absolutely!"
64. Team Robot SG-1 finds they really, really can't go home again--because Earth is gone. Can be AU or a manipulation of canon in which they weren't really destroyed in Double Jeopardy.
T-2. Team . The things the team misses most.
No romance, please! Everything else goes.
66. Gen. Sam and Teal'c leading a group of rebels to retake the mountain after an alien foothold situation that became an invasion.
67. Gen. Sam is taken by a Goa'uld who then uses her knowledge to take Earth. The SGC and the rest of SG-1 fight back.
68. Gen. Jack and Woolsey alone on Atlantis, if things had gone just a bit more wrong...
69. Gen. Where Anubis succeeds to some degree in Threads, and Mitchell is just learning how to walk again.
72. Gen. Now that dry land is scarce on Earth, the only means of travel is via ship or boat.
73. Gen. Teal'c fic. "That's the story of my life, that's the difference between wrong and right. But Billy said, both those words are dead." (Velvet Underground) (Or, alternately, and typically misquoted version: "That's the story of my life, that's the difference between wrong and right. But Billy said, both those worlds are dead.")
74. Gen. (RPF?) Christopher Judge and Ben Browder control the vertical and horizontal; however, their cracktastic brand of dangerous psychadelic mayhem actually does cause the world to melt down in a haze of hallucinogenic drugs, frightening nightmares, "what the hell was that?" things popping up out of dark corners, and a complete disregard for the laws of causality.
75. Gen. "Everyone will return to their everyday stuff / And you'll sleep through the mess that you're in" (What You'll Miss by the Lucksmiths) (admin note- song available upon request)
76. Gen. Here at the end of it all without you.
G-1. Gen. Where Jack decides he's too old to be crawling around on his hands and knees, planting traps and snares while deep in enemy territory, but at this point? There's really not much he can do about it.
The prompts that specify a pairing. You need to write a fic that focuses on the dynamics between that pairing. No, it doesn't have to be an adult fic (But that's fine too!).
81. Teal'c/Mitchell. "I think it's going to rain today." (Randy Newman)
82. Teal'c/Mitchell. "Water is heavy silver over stone.
Water is heavy silver over stone's
Refusal. It does not fall. It fills. It flows.
Every crevice, every fault of stone,
Every hollow. River does not run.
River presses its heavy silver self
Down into stone and stone refuses.
Swirling and leaping into sun, is stone's
Refusal of the river, not the river." ('What Any Lover Learns' by Archibald MacLeish)
83. Teal'c/Mitchell. "Every shout shook the night and spread out endlessly, only to contract again like a black coal, and with the rising and the falling of the melody their hearts trembled and almost stopped, flying faster than lightning to distant places and then returning. The men, who had mastered sorrow to the point of addiction, had mastered silence with the same perfection. If a breath sounded, coarse and grief stricken, to break the silence, it lent the silence an earthy, murky color and seemed improper, and the man who had breathed might look searchingly at the others, anxious and apologetic, speaking without words. Pain reached the point of agony, and sorrow prevailed over everything." (Cities of Salt by Abdelrahman Munif (trans: Peter Theroux))
84. Teal'c/Mitchell. When the sky opened, something horrible came through. Teal'c watched it fall.
"The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless; and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air
Morn came and went--and came, and brought no day,
And men forgot their passions in the dread
Of this their destination: and all hearts
Were chill'd into a selfish prayer for light.
88. Cam/Daniel (crazy) friendship. Where Mitchell knows Daniel's more than a little bit crazy, but he thinks he is too, now, so he really doesn't care.
90. Cam/Daniel. When the Earth is destroyed, Daniel and Cam are on a mission with the Asgard. The Asgard give them a home (and, in fact, might feel as if they're obligated to 'keep' the two), and they have to adjust to a very, very different society than the one they know. One not very comfortable for humans.
92. Jack/Teal'c (friendship or slash). The Parable of the Old Man and the Young
93. Jack/Teal'c friendship. Blood, warmth, an ominous sky, and a forearm clasp.
94. Daniel/Teal'c friendship. Bonding and working together to get out of a mess a la Avatar.
95. Daniel/Teal'c. Daniel is off-world with Teal'c when things go down.
96. Jack/Daniel. picture.
97. Jack/Daniel. At Jack's cabin when an alien attack devestates the planet.
106. Sam/Vala. Taking comfort where one can find it.
107. Sam/Vala. Trapped on a planet that has almost been wiped out by a centuries-long war.
108. Sam/Vala. Picture
109. Sam/Vala. With every male in the entire 'gate network wiped out, Sam wants to find a way to save the human race, but Vala thinks this could be the chance for some real fun.
In death's other kingdom
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone." (TS Eliot, The Hollow Men)
112. Sam/Vala. "When you left me in the restaurant, I scoured the dictionary for days. Kissed men until my teeth hurt. Craved margaritas and the salt on the back of your neck." (Kristi Bowen, Open Letter to the Muse)
113. Sam/Janet. Radiation poisoning.
114. Sam/Elizabeth Weir. Trying to save the world after the Wraith make it to Earth. "But God has chosen the things which the world regards as foolish, in order to put its wise men to shame; and God has chosen the things which the world regards as destitute of influence, in order to put its powerful things to shame." (1 Corinthians 1:27 (Weymouth New Testament))
Was Paris really burning
Could I have been the one to pull you
From the point of no returning
And did I hear you calling out my name
Or was it forgotten long ago?
Michelangelo." (Michelangelo - Emmylou Harris. Further lyrics here: (or for the song itself, have a look here.
118. Sam/Daniel. End of the world by horrible disease. Ebola, Captain Trips (The Stand), Super-Anthrax, or even Aschen bio-weapon. The Earth is poisoned for the foreseeable future.
119. Sam/Daniel. Summer, shade, oak tree, blanket.
121. Sam/Jonas. (can be Gen/Friendship) - Retrogression - A nuclear winter covers the northern hemisphere; the skies are dulled, crops have failed and anarchy rules in place of law and order. Jonas and Sam are survivors, traveling south in search of refuge.
122. Sam/Jonas. Sam sneaks in to Langara to find out whether Jonas is still alive, after the Ori's conquest.
123. Sam/Martouf. Anubis's scheme to wipe out most human life in the galaxy worked. Sam and Martouf run one of the few groups left alive.
124. Rodney/Svetlana Markov friendship. Rodney is stuck in Russia when a deadly virus spreads across Earth. (Pre-Atlantis)
125. Daniel/Sha're. What happens when Amounet and Quetesh take over the Earth?
126. Daniel/Sha're. "Of course I regret it. But I can't say I would do it differently."
127. Jonas/Vala. Team badges and dog tags.
128. Vala/John Sheppard. Basketball in the Pegasus Galaxy.
130. Cam/Vala. (friendship or relationship). The Ori have taken Earth and kidnapped Vala, and Cam has to rescue her.
131. Cam/Vala. Society rebuilds in Kansas.
132. Sam/Ba'al. Entire galaxies are laid to waste, and our heroes flee Casablanca-style along with a crushing throng of refugees.
134. Sam/Teal'c. (romance or friendship) They're forced to find refuge with the Jaffa after Earth is destroyed/out of reach/whatever.
137. Teal'c/Vala. She's tired of running, and she's tired of losing. She'd never wanted to care in the first place.
142. Sam/Cam (with Team) (Can simply be UST) SG-1 is caught away from the Earth gate when aliens destroy Earth. Fire and brimstone or whatever you can come up with. SG-1 must fight their way to the gate (which may or may not be targeted) or find an alternate way off Earth.
148. Sam/Jack. After the destruction of Earth, Sam and Jack are stranded off-world and do what ever they can to survive in a harsh galaxy.
150. Sam/Jack. Apocalypse happens not because of an alien attack or influence, but as a direct result of something SG-1 has done or brought back.
152. Sam/Jack. "Because he's got to have men of courage, that's why. If he knew how to plan a proper campaign what would he be needing men of courage for? Ordinary ones would do. It's always the same; whenever there's a load of special virtues around it means something stinks." (Bertholt Brecht, Mother of Courage and Her Children)
153. Sam/Jack. A long journey into deep space. Goa'uld motherships and/or Replicators.
154. Sam/Jack. With just enough time left to know they're going to die, too.
155. Sam/Jack. "Walk me out in the morning dew, baby. Please walk me out in the morning dew.
I can't walk you out in the morning dew. I can't walk you out in the morning dew today.
Thought I saw a flash in the sky this morning. I thought I saw a flash in the sky today.
Well, the Earth did tremble and the sky is no longer blue, and now there is no more morning dew, oh today." (Morning Dew by Blackfoot) (admin note- song available upon request)
The sky cannot ignore us
No one can separate us
For we are all that is left." (The Beginning is the End is the Beginning by Smashing Pumpkins) (admin note- song available upon request)
SJ-1.Sam/Jack. It's the one thing Sam can never forgive Jack, not letting her die along with everyone else.
SJ-2. Sam/Jack. The Hundred Days episode with Sam and Jack on the planet instead of Jack only, plus planet really destroyed by meteors. Trying to survive.
157. Sam/Jack/Daniel. Jack gets tired of coming up with more excuses. All they have left is one another.
158. OTx, aka infinite pairings/threesomes/moresomes) World goes kaboom, porn ensues. (What, you need more??)
159. Sam/Jack/Daniel (can also be Team/Gen) - Timeshift - In an AU, where the revolution of 1776 never occurred, Alternate SG-1 survive an apocalyptic event. (This is your chance to get really creative, just how different is this AU? Is this America past the industrial age? Etc...)
160. Sam/Jack/Daniel - From wikipedia: "Apocalypse (Greek: Ἀποκάλυψις -translit. APOKALYPSIS, literally: the lifting of the veil), is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the mass of humankind.
The knowledge had been locked in Daniel's brain since he descended. Combined with information Jolinar left in Sam's brain and the Ancient download device left in Jack's, the next step had been all too easy...
161. Sam/Jack/Daniel. So I ran with the moon andI ran with the night/ And the three of us were a terrible sight / Nipple to the bottle to the gun to the cell / To the bottom of a hole of a deeper well (Emmylou Harris, "Deeper Well")
162. Sam/Jack/Daniel. "You've got to choose a wish or command / At the turn of the tide, is withering thee / Remember one thing / The dream you can see / Pray to be, shake this land." (Maybe Not by Cat Power)
164. Sam/Cam/Daniel. In a Tel'tac, out in space. Earth is destroyed while they're away and they have to just keep flying or find a new home.
165. Sam/Daniel/Teal'c. S8. Gate back after mission to find mountain is empty and Earth has been devastated.
166. Cam/Daniel/Jack. Caught on Atlantis when Ori take over the Earth.
167. Janet/Daniel/Sam. "But the past it pulls / On your taut puppet strings / And you're stuck in an opera / Where nobody sings" (Icarus Wings by Captain Tractor)
168. Sam/Daniel, Daniel/Vala, Daniel/Janet. At least 3 AU's via mirror, our Earth gone as far as he knows, same Daniel in each but AU other. Feel free to add different pairings or change these, they are just an idea.
170. Teal'c/Any. Ominous prophecies and ancient curses turn out to be totally and unavoidably true.
Prompts with a Choice
Prompts in which you have to make a choice.
172. Sam/Rodney Mckay OR Sam/Cam OR Sam/Daniel. Baby!fic, repopulating Earth/ensuring the continued survival of Earth's survivors with angst and really cute and/or really intelligent children.
173. Gen/Team OR Sam/Jack. In the episode, Between Two Fires (S5), SG1 stops the Tollan/Travelle from sending a weapon of mass destruction capable of penetrating the iris through the Stargate to Earth. The story prompt is that SG1 was *not* successful in stopping the deployment of the bomb and it went through to Earth. What happens to SG1 now?
174. Gen/Team OR Sam/Jack. The Goa'uld Nirrti had free access to the SGC during the episode Rite of Passage (S5). In case she was discovered or something went wrong with her plans for Cassandra, she hid a biological weapon on the base (author's choice as to what it does-- plague, premature aging, insanity, etc and you can assume she had unlimited access to all levels of Cheyenne Mountain). When she is discovered and allowed to leave, she acts in typical Goa'uld fashion and activates the weapon anyway.
176. Gen/Team OR Sam/Jack. In Chain Reaction (Season Four) General Bauer orders Carter to send a naquadah enhanced bomb through to a planet and it explodes, sending high levels of gamma radiation back through the Stargate. The gate doesn’t shut down after 38 minutes and so the auto-destruct is set for enough time to allow the base to be evacuated. The base is destroyed, the Stargate buried under the mountain and radiation is still being emitted. The radiation that continues to be emitted begins to kill all life on Earth.
177. Gen/Team OR Sam/Jack. Set during any season (author’s choice), an artifact brought back through the gate is either being studied at the SGC or at Area 51 when it activates/explodes/sends out a massive EM pulse/releases a biological or chemical weapon that destroys most of the population of Earth. All or part (author’s choice) of SG1 is off-world when this occurs.
178. Gen/Team OR Sam/Jack. In the episode Fail Safe (Season Five) SG1 is successful in diverting the asteroid by use of the hyperdrive. However, the unforeseen effect of ‘going through’ Earth via the hyperdrive results in a catastrophic shift in Earth’s orbit which results in violent tidal forces, earth quakes and climactic changes leading to (you guessed it) apocalyptic conditions. The resultant earth quakes either temporarily or permanently cut off access to the Stargate.
And when I reach the other side
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
But I will remain
And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again"
(Highwayman by The Highwaymen)
180. Team (original) OR Sam/Jack. The last dog on Earth.
181. Gen OR Sam/Jack. Season 8 or later. Jonas Quinn returns to Earth seeking asylum.
182. Daniel/Vala OR Cam/Vala. Enemies, revenge, little yellow bolts of light.
183. Gen OR John/Rodney. Earth has been destroyed/decimated (or otherwise inaccessible) - how does this affect Atlantis/ do they have any warning/do they even *know* what has happened? This is basically an Atlantis-abandoned-by-Earth story.
185. Team AND/OR Sam/Jack friendship. (love whumped Sam). Revenge is sweet. SG-1 gone bad. They were exiled from Earth and now have to go back a few years later in order to save what is left of the world but the team that left is not like the team that will come back... in their hearts, they are the same but in their mind they want revenge. (Anything before season 7's episode "Heroes". I love Janet.)
186. Sam/Janet AND/OR Daniel/Janet - At first the end of the world didn't seem so bad, but when glimpses of Janet kept appearing around every corner, that's when the real problems began.
Reply to this post and claim by number or by copying the prompt. (Some numbers are a mix of numbers and letters because they were added after the master list was already made.)
Please pimp the community if you can and send writers our way! :)